The Leavitt Houseis the oldest commercial building still in use in Anson County. It was constructed in 1832 as a residence for Norfleet Boggan. Wadesboro's only antebellum frame commercial building is a fine example of the Greek Revival Style. The heavy double paneled door of the main entrance was origanally surrounded with many-paned beveled glass. The former parlor features a mantled plaster cornice and ceiling medallion.
Nathaniel Knight purchased the house in 1867 and converted it into an Inn and added a rear wing for use as a kitchen. It remained a hotel under the proprietorship of Charles Burns and others until Harvey Leavitt, Sr. adapted its use as a funeral home in 1935.
Mr. Leavitt's grandson, Harvey Leavitt IIIgave the Leavitt House to the Anson County Historical Society in January 2007. It is now being used as a museum to house the Tom Little Artifacts, the F.C. Allen Arrowhead collection, and a Wadesboro High School Museum and Memorabilia room, plus other collections.